KitchenAcorns.com is supported by its readers. Please assume links on this site are affiliate links or ads, and that I get commissions for purchases made through these links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you if you use any of the links.
If you love homemade waffles, having a good waffle maker at home is essential when you get the craving for waffles. Waffles made at home will almost always be cheaper, and in my opinion, they’ll probably taste better too! But to make homemade waffles you’re going to need a good waffle iron.
I know that before buying a new kitchen appliance it’s sensible to do a little research. However, that can take a lot of time and be tedious. The good news is that when it comes to waffle makers with ceramic plates, I’ve done the work for you. I have checked out the best ceramic waffle makers that are available and decided which qualifies as the best of the best.
One thing worth pointing out is that although these machines are called ceramic waffle makers and that the cooking plates are said to be ceramic, in fact, they are not. It’s not the whole waffle maker or the plates that are ceramic, it’s the non-stick coating on the cooking plates that is ceramic.
In a hurry? I recommend the Presto 03510 Ceramic FlipSide Belgian Waffle, available from Amazon
You’ll find my ceramic buyers guide below, and then my five favorite waffle makers for safe and eco-friendly homemade waffles! But here’s a quick preview of the five waffle irons.
Best Ceramic Waffle Maker: a Buyer’s Guide
When it comes to buying a waffle maker you have a lot of choices. You can make your choice based on shape, size, capacity, whether it flips, and whether it has removable plates. But what about the non-stick coating?
Are Non-Stick Coatings Safe?
You’ll have probably noticed that just about every waffle maker comes with non-stick cooking plates. If fact, the only ones that don’t have non-stick coatings are professional waffle makers and cast-iron waffle irons. They become non-stick by first being seasoned and not by being coated with a synthetic chemical layer.
This is an important question, are non-stick coatings safe to use for cooking? Well, you don’t need to worry. Provided you use the appliance correctly, the evidence suggests that non-stick cookware is safe.
But if non-stick coatings are safe, why are some people concerned about non-stick cookware safety?
Most electric waffle makers have a non-stick coating, such as Teflon, which is the trade name for PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene). Although it is generally safe for humans, health and environmental concerns were raised over the use of PFOA (perfluorooctanoic acid) in the manufacture of PTFE coatings.
It was realized that if non-stick coated cookware was overheated, PFOA, which is toxic and persists in the environment, could be released. As a result, the use of PFOA in the manufacture of PTFE was phased out. For example, Teflon has been PFOA free since 2013, and non-stick coatings based on PTFE are considered safe if used according to the manufacturer’s guidance.
Even so, some producers looked for alternative non-stick coatings. One innovative solution they came up with was the use of ceramic non-stick surfaces. These ceramic coatings are both non-toxic and eco-friendly.
What is a Ceramic Waffle Maker and why use one?
A ceramic waffle maker is almost like any other waffle maker, but there is one important difference. The cooking plates have a ceramic coating to make them non-stick instead of using a synthetic non-stick material like Teflon.
Ceramic non-stick coatings are non-toxic and eco-friendly, and therefore appealing to many concerned buyers. But there are also other advantages as well. Ceramic non-stick coatings are durable and long-lasting, easy to clean, plus they allow heat to be distributed evenly.
Some users have said that the only disadvantage with ceramic waffle makers is that sometimes the batter doesn’t spread evenly. However, this isn’t much of an issue if you are more even with pouring in the batter.
The ceramic non-stick cooking plates will generally wipe clean easily, but if you want the least amount of work to do at clean-up, choose a ceramic waffle maker with removable, dishwasher-safe plates.
So ceramic waffle makers are easy and safe to use, they’re eco-friendly, and importantly, they produce well cooked, crispy waffles that are reliably released easily and in one piece.
Best Ceramic Waffle Makers
Presto 03510 Ceramic FlipSide Belgian Waffle
The Presto 03510 has some lovely features that make it special. For one thing, this is a waffle maker for those who like thick waffles with deep pockets. It has a deep grid that’s 7-inches in diameter that will make superb-looking Belgian-style waffles. It also flips (hence the name) 180 degrees, and I would recommend flipping a couple of times to ensure the batter spreads evenly.
The unit has its own countdown timer with a digital display that signals when baking time is up. So no worries about overcooking your waffles.
It also boasts that it’s chemical-free – using a ceramic non-stick coating, so there’s no PTFE or other chemicals to worry about.
When laid flat on the counter the waffle maker measures 12¼ inches wide, 11¾ inches from front to back, and 4 inches high.
A nice feature is that it becomes quite compact when stored vertically. An unfortunate drawback is that Presto doesn’t make waffle makers with any removable plates at this point, which also means it is a dedicated waffle maker and can’t be used to make anything else. But for those who are all about waffles, it is a wonderful waffle maker for any who wants to make quality Belgian waffles at home.
As I mentioned, the ceramic grill plates cannot be removed, but even so, they are very easy to clean. If you do your clean-up when the plates are still warm or a little hot (watch you don’t burn yourself), just wipe them down with a damp cloth and you should be done.
Just like any other waffle maker, don’t try opening it when the waffles are still only partially cooked. The waffles will stick and break apart. Presto says the total cooking time is about 4 minutes but watching the escaping steam to subside is also a good way to judge how close you are to having a done waffle.
- Included Components: Drains And Serves.
- Fabric Type: Plastic, Stainless Steel
- Bakes extra-thick Belgian waffles in minutes
Hamilton Beach 26031 Belgian Waffle Maker With Removable Ceramic Grids
The most attractive element of the Hamilton Beach 26031 is its simplicity. It has a minimalist stainless-steel design, with only two lights and browning knobs. Its lack of features is made up by its user-friendliness. There are only a few steps needed to make restaurant-quality waffles at home: turn on the waffle maker, wait until the indicator light tells you it’s ready for the batter to be added, then shut the lid and flip.
When you set the dial on 2 the waffles take about 6 minutes to bake. Also, use good grease on the plates to help the waffles from sticking and to produce a crispy exterior. Crisco works well.
The stainless-steel body is durable, making the unit very long-lasting, and its function or its appearance won’t deteriorate even over years.
The non-stick copper ceramic removable plates get up to heat quickly. It only takes around three minutes to preheat before it’s ready to go. It’s a bit on the big side, but if you can find a place to put it, then it is quick, easy, and incredibly simple to use.
The Durathon ceramic non-stick grids are 4x more durable than the traditional non-stick type. What’s more, they are easy to clean up. The grids and drip tray can be removable and are dishwasher safe.
Make sure you read the instruction book before you start using this waffle maker. If you do, you’ll be rewarded with trouble-free waffle making.
- FLIPS EASILY FOR THICK, FLUFFY WAFFLES. With the ability to flip waffles during cooking, the Durathon Removable-Grid Belgian Waffle Maker lets you create thick, fluffy waffles that rival the ones prepared at the best restaurants.
- FOUR TIMES MORE DURABLE THAN TRADITIONAL NONSTICK. The Durathon ceramic nonstick grids are four times more durable than traditional nonstick, won’t crack or peel, and are PTFE and PFOA free.
- EASY CLEANUP — REMOVABLE GRIDS AND DRIP TRAY ARE DISHWASHER SAFE. After cooking, simply let the nonstick waffle maker cool, then remove the ceramic nonstick grids and drip tray for easy cleanup in the dishwasher.
- PERFECTLY BROWNED WAFFLES WITH ADJUSTABLE BROWNING CONTROL. From light to dark, you have total control of how your waffles come out. Whatever shade you pick, you’ll get waffles that are golden brown on the outside and fluffy on the inside.
- DURABLE STAINLESS STEEL HOUSING. The stainless steel housing of this Belgian waffle iron has a classic, restaurant-style design that's built to last.
Hamilton Beach 26081 Belgian Waffle Maker With Copper Ceramic Plates
One of the most notable things about this waffle maker is the copper ceramic plates. Reviewers rave over its low stick surfaces which are ceramic, so Teflon-free.
Despite its low price, it’s copper ceramic plates ensure the waffles do not stick. Although many people grease the plates with oil like Canola, the idea is that you don’t need to oil the machine again, they are just fine without further oil. However, make sure the waffle maker has fully heated up before adding the batter.
This Belgian-style waffle maker is easy to use, producing waffles that are 0.87 inches thick. The adjustable browning control means you can tailor your waffle exactly to your taste. The Ready indicator light lets you know when it’s time to pour in the batter, then wait for the little click to tell you it’s finished.
With the temperature dial at about three-quarters of the way to Max, the waffle will take about 5-6 minutes to cook, although the timing will depend on how dark you like your waffles.
When laid flat on the counter the machine measures 8 inches wide, 10½ inches from front to back, and 4½ inches high. But once you’re done cooking, it can be turned on its side and stored away in a cabinet or on the countertop.
Although it’s annoying that the plates aren’t removable the ceramic non-stick plates are easy to wipe down after cooking.
Hamilton Beach specializes in models which are easy to use and easy to clean up. Their non-stick surfaces can be wiped down with a damp cloth. For those who want beautiful waffles with very little effort, then a Hamilton waffle maker might be exactly what you’re looking for.
- Quick and easy waffles: just add batter to the waffle iron when the ready light comes on for fluffy Belgian waffles in just a few minutes.
- Adjustable browning control: Adjustable browning control lets you choose how light or dark you make your waffles.
- Easy to clean: Nonstick copper ceramic plates make . 87" deep waffles and wipe down easily.
- Power and ready lights: power on and ready lights indicate when the Belgian waffle maker is turned on and when to add batter.
- Compact, upright storage: waffle maker takes up minimal space in cabinets and on countertops.
Metine Belgian Waffle Maker With Ultra Nonstick Ceramics Coating
This isn’t a well-known brand but this 900W waffle iron does the job. It uses non-toxic non-stick ceramic coatings instead of Teflon and the machine has successfully completed various tests and gained the required certifications. Metine is confident enough about their waffle maker that if there is a quality problem, they’ll replace it within 12 months. So that’s quite reassuring.
The Metine waffle maker can flip 180 degrees in order to spread the batter evenly.
It has double-sided heating, an adjustable temperature control, which puts the temperature range, and amount of browning, under your control.
There are twin LED indicator lights to help you make perfect waffles every time. There are red and green lights on the front of the machine and a single green temperature indicator LED on the back.
When you plug in the machine both red and green lights come on, when the green light goes off the waffle maker has reached the selected cooking temperature. Once you’ve added the batter and closed the machine, both lights will again show. Finally, when the waffle has finished baking the green LED will go off again. Effectively the red LED is a power indicator and the green LED is a Ready light.
The 180° flip action ensures a more uniform spread of batter and baking. Furthermore, the flip means the waffle properly takes on the shape of the waffle grid and looks like a professional restaurant waffle.
In spite of the cooking plates not being removable, clean-up is easy enough. A wipe down with a damp cloth is usually all that’s required, although it is best to do this when the plates are still warm.
The Metine machine is one of the most affordable waffle makers on our list, so it is perfect for those wanting good quality on a budget.
- Upgraded version of anti-stick ceramic coating - The coating using ceramic materials is different from most chemical synthetic coatings on the market, which is healthy, safe and anti-sticky. It is the first choice for your home kitchen
- 180 ° flip more uniform baking - The 180° flip design makes your waffle heated more evenly, and the shape of the finished product is more beautiful and delicious
- Double-sided LED indicator makes it easier to make waffles - There are red and green lights on the front. The two lights are on together to indicate that the machine is heating, and the green light is off to indicate that the heating has been completed; similarly, there is a green temperature indicator on the back, and the green light is off to indicate that the preset temperature has been reached, and the chefs can proceed The next step
- Adjustable temperature control button - Adjust the temperature range to preheat the machine. After the preheating is complete, pour the required waffle batter, adjust the temperature range again and close the lid. Just wait for the food.
- HIGH QUALITY MATERIALS & BPA FREE - the quality of our waffles maker has passed various tests and certifications. If there is a quality problem, it will be replaced within 12 months. Contact us to replace for free
Blue Diamond Sizzle Griddle Ceramic Griddle, Grill, & Waffle Maker
This waffle maker is without question the most versatile machine on my list. This unit comes with removable ceramic cooking plates so you can use the machine as a griddle, grill, or waffle maker. It’s easy to cook perfect waffles or anything else you plan to grill or griddle!
The Blue Diamond cooking plates are finished with an enhanced ceramic non-stick coating that is not only ceramic but also diamond-infused. So, what does that mean? The plates are robust, the non-stick coating is 5x harder, 10x longer-lasting, and 4x better at heat transfer than standard non-stick coatings. One consequence of using such a durable coating is that the plates are safe to use with metal utensils.
The plates easily slide in and out of the enclosure, which makes it very simple to remove them for dishwasher cleaning.
Another nice feature this griddle has is an automatic heat control which makes sure that the waffles (or whatever else you care to cook on it) come out perfectly cooked.
The cooking surface is about 231 square inches, and when the handles are removed, the machine fits into most standard 18-inch kitchen cabinets with ease. The handles don’t need any tools to remove them.
The Sizzle Griddle can fully open so both sides lay flat for a family-sized griddle. Alternatively, close it for waffle making, sandwiches, or steaks. The powerful 1200W design ensures fast heating and browning. If you use it for cooking meats or burgers fat and grease can drains away into the included drip trays.
The Sizzle Griddle is a more complex and versatile griddle, able to be used for all kinds of foods. The versatility is appealing and will be appreciated by those who like to cook a lot of their food on a griddle.
- Metal utensil safe, Blue Diamond’s signature diamond-infused ceramic nonstick is 5x harder and 10x longer lasting than traditional coatings
- Diamonds are 4x more conductive than copper, so Blue Diamond heats faster and cleans up easier
- Griddle plates give you total contact to devlier max sear and max flavor
- Bonus grill and waffle plates give you 7 incredible ways to cook!
- The lay-flat design offers the full griddle experience on your countertop
There are many different varieties of waffle makers with their own benefits. Whether you want a more affordable waffle maker, one that flips, one that is easy to store, or one that is more versatile, there is a unit on this list that will fulfill your needs.
Tosh learned how to cook while watching his Polish Mom at home. He also worked in a family-owned restaurant while a student and learned much from the chefs. Cooking has always interested him, especially the hearty Polish recipes he learned from his mother. He has helped create and appeared on cookery shows on radio stations in Scotland.